Moving House – Quick Tips to win the day!
There is nothing more exiting than finding a new home, however moving also comes with a lot of stresses. We’ve complied a simple checklist to make your moving experience simpler and without the headache. See it as an opportunity to declutter, sell old possessions and invest in new things for your home!
1 – Declutter your life; get rid of everything you haven’t used in a while, chances are you’re not going to use them again anyway. If you have possessions you can’t sell consider donating to charity. The less possessions you have the less you have to pack and unpack.
2. Catagorise your stuff whilst packing, that way you won’t have to worry at the other end. Everything will be neatly organised into catagories making packing easy. So, get your stuff together and sort into clothes, bedroom, kitchen, office etc.
3. Sell the stuff you no longer want or need which may be valuable to others. You can sell on market places like eBay or Gumtree and recoup some of your money back – you can put this towards things for your new home!
4. Research professional removal companies in your area! Check out company websites, look at what they offer and enquire about prices. Be sure to read their testimonials, check if they offer packaging and storage.
5. Arrange an appropriate moving day – Saturdays are usually busy ones for removal companies and the roads can be chaos. Why not move mid week, this will make your move less stressful.
6. Get packaging and moving supplies. If you can, look for old boxes for electronics, computers and TV’s – they’re usually a perfect fit. Buy or find boxes you local store or removal company. You’ll need tap, scissors and newspaper to wrap fragile bits in.
7. Change your address a week before you move, that way all the important documents will be sent to your new address and you won’t lose any mail.
8. Use small boxes for heavy items, they are much more sturdy and can take the extra weight so don’t try and pack all your heavy items in large boxes.
9. Protect fragile items with bubble wrap, packing paper or blankets – simple.
10. Pack dishes vertically, wrap your plates and bowls in packing paper and gentle place them into a box vertically, similar to storing records – fill in the empty spaces with bubble wrap.